The first Totally & Permanently Disabled Ex-Servicemen from World War 1 used as their meeting place the seat which surrounded the trunk of a large Morton bay fig tree (since removed) situated opposite the G.P.O. in Victoria Square.
The South Austrlian Branch was formed at the inaugural meeting in May 1937 where Mr J MacDonald was elected President and Mr S.C.P. Hall Secretary. Members present (around 20) contributed one shilling each to meet the cost of providing stationary. Thus the Association, in this State, commenced in a very small way.
Initially the Association rented rooms in Page Street, as membership grew it moved to a bigger shop in Gouger Street then to rented rooms in the RSL Building in Angas Street and finally the Blue Grotto in Grenfell Street where in 1950 it was decided to purchase a property.
In 1951 Davaar House on the corner of Hutt Street and South Terrace was purchased for 15,000 pounds, this become the home of the Association until it moved to its present location on Richmond Road in January 2009.